Dog Products that an Owner Cannot Live Without
When owning a dog, there are certain products that every dog owner needs so that both the owner and the dog are happy. It is especially important to purchase these products as soon as you acquire the dog and to keep these things around during the ownership of the dog, which is most likely going to be a long time.
However, knowing what you need from the beginning can give you the peace of mind that you will always have what you need when you need it. You won't have to worry about making late night trips to the store or having to wait until the next day when the store opens back up for the day.
Products that you need:
- Don't simply give Fido one of your old mixing bowls to eat out of or drink out of. Dog bowls are specially made so that your dog does not tip them over while eating or drinking. This can save your floors (if your dog is inside), keep the food and water supply going, and can save you money by not having to continually replace spilt food.
- A leash so that you can take your dog and yourself on walks. This is an important bonding time with your dog and gives you both exercise. Retractable leashes are good because you can lengthen the leash as your dog gets used to it.
- A collar with an ID tag. You can attach your dog's leash to the collar. This means that he or she is always ready to go on a walk. A flea collar may also be required if there are flea issues.
- If you're not keen on the idea of a flea collar, then you may want to invest in a supply of flea and tick medicines. The type that you may want to choose is one that requires treatment just once per month. You simply break open the vile of medication and squeeze it onto the back of the dog's neck. It is effective for 30 days in warding off fleas and ticks, keeping you and your dog happy.
- Treats are a must because you want to reward your dog for good behavior. If you have none to give, then your dog has no incentive to obey you when you command him or her to do something.
- Dog brush or comb. This is especially necessary in dogs with long hair. Brushing and combing your dog can also help in the battle against fleas and ticks. It is also a good time to bond with your dog and will keep your dogs coat healthy.
- Chew toys can prevent your dog from using your shoes to chew on. Chew toys tend to be recommended for puppies, but big dogs like to chew around on toys as well. Chew bones are also great for dogs because they keep their teeth healthy.
- Dog shampoo is a must because dogs get smelly even if they are inside. This keeps your dog's skin and fur healthy and a clean dog is a dog that smells good.
These are all items that you should have handy because you never know when you need them. Of course there is the dog food, but that is a given. You just want to make sure that you are always stocked on many of these items because you don't want your dog to catch you without dog treats when they've done something good. You also don't want to wake up in the morning with all of your shoes demolished. In the end, you'll be glad you were prepared.